This is not an authentic Italian recipe but rather an opportunity to conjure a taste and smell of Italy in your own kitchen. This bread takes under an hour to make from start to finish. It’s a matter of stirring together the simple ingredients and popping in the oven half an hour before you need it. Prepare to salivate as the irresistible aroma fills your kitchen!
Ingredients for Easy Italian Quick Bread
- 1 cup of grated extra mature cheddar
- 3 cups of wholewheat bread flour
- 2 Tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- Large dollop of pesto (I used red pepper and sun dried tomato)
- 2 cloves of garlic finely minced
- Stud with rosemary sprigs and black olives, and sprinkle generously with grated parmesan.
1. Combine wet ingredients in one bowl, and dry in another.
2. Whisk the wet ingredients together until light and frothy.
3. Stir the wet into the dry ingredients to form a sticky dough, add a little milk if the mixture is a bit dry.
4. Turn the mixture onto a greased or lined baking sheet and flatten it out with the back of a wooden spoon to a thickness of 1″ . It should look like a thick pizza base.
5. Press the rosemary and olives around on the top, and sprinkle generously with parmesan.
6. Put in the oven, gas mark 5 /190 degrees celcius for 25 – 30 mins. It’s ready when it feels springy and a trusty cocktail stick comes out clean.