Healthy granola for breakfast is a great way to start your day and indeed it’s a tasty snack at any other time, but the shop bought ones are not always quite what they promise. For a start, they can be laden with lots of unnecessary sugar and of course the origin and the quality of the various ingredients can be a bit suspicious. If you’re anything like me, you’ll spend ages reading the microscopic ingredient labels and shaking the packet about to see whether they’ve been mean with the fruit and nut content.
So I decided to take matters into my own hands and make my own. There are lots of granola recipes on the internet and this post is definitely not alone, but I felt really compelled to share this recipe, if only to encourage people to have a go at making this super easy homemade granola. There are three really good reasons why everyone should do this (assuming they like already like it!)
1. It’s really quick and easy
2. You can make it exactly to your taste
3. You get a lot more granola for your money!
- One packet of organic oats
- ¾ cup of organic coconut oil
- ¾ cup good quality pure honey
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Desiccated or flaked coconut
- 1½ cups of flaked almonds or other nuts of your choice
- 1½ cups of chopped, dried fruit of your choice
- Combine the oats, coconut and nuts in a large bowl. Keeping the dried fruit aside for now.
- Gently melt the coconut oil and honey.
- Add the melted coconut and honey to the oats mixture and stir thoroughly, the mixture should clump together a little.
- Spread it out on a lined baking tray and bake in the oven on gas mark 4 /180 c for around 15 mins. Watch carefully and give it a shake around to toast it evenly as it can brown quite quickly .
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Now stir in the raisins or any other chopped dried fruit of your choice, doing this after toasting the oats and nuts ensures the fruit stays soft.
- Once cool, store your granola in a large jar and enjoy a delicious breakfast served with milk or yoghurt and perhaps some fresh berries on top.