*This post contains affiliate links*
I must admit that this soap recipe does cheat slightly as it uses a simple, unscented soap base as part of the ingredients, so it’s perfectly safe and child friendly. This is due to the fact that I’d rather not handle such a caustic substance as lye in the home, especially with the kids around.
The beauty of making your own soap is that you can choose your favourite essential oils, in this case I chose lavender oil for it’s calming effect and soothing fragrance. The addition of avocado oil or almond oil makes it wonderfully moisturising, leaving the skin feeling soft and dewy and never taut and stripped of natural oils.
Try this Soft and Silky Homemade Soap and you’ll be converted immediately, it’s so quick and easy and with some extra special ingredients you end up with a luxury handcrafted soap that makes a lovely gift too.
- 3 bars of unscented, soap for sensitive skins ( I use simple )
- 300 ml cooled boiled water
- 50 ml avocado oil
- 50 ml almond oil
- 25 drops essential oil of your choice (lavender or rose geranium is nice)
- Small handful of dried lavender flowers (poppy seeds, oatmeal also works well)
- small plastic pots to use for molds (recycled baby food pots)
- Grate the soap into a large heat proof bowl, this can be speeded up considerably by putting the soap in the microwave for 30 seconds first.
- Add the water and place over a pan of simmering water on a low light. Stir well with a metal spoon until the grated soap melts into the water.
- Add the oils and fragrance and stir well, you can substitute any other natural oils according to your preference.
- Spoon the mixture into the pots and smooth off the top with a knife.
- Leave to cool and set this might take at least a week.
- Once set, wrap the soaps in greaseproof paper and allow to dry further until you need them.