These muffins are so quick and easy; just a few minutes to stir up together, and then 15-20 minutes in the oven. With the eggs, cheese and yoghurt they're packed with protein, and they keep energy levels high and tummies full.
Polenta is often forgotten as a healthy gluten free option, but it's low in carbs and an excellent source of iron, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc and vitamin B6. And these lovely sunshine polenta muffins, topped with toasted parmesan look so appetising - just like little golden nuggets!
- 1 cup polenta cornmeal
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarb of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¾ natural yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon of pesto
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 cup of grated hard, mature cheddar
- 12 cherry tomatoes chopped
- A handful of chopped fresh basil
- A handful of parmesan to scatter on the top
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Stir in the wet ingredients to make a sticky dough.
- Gluten free options do tend to be quite absorbent, so if the mixture seems too dry, add a little milk until you have a moist and sticky consistency.
- Spoon the mixture into a well greased muffin tray or use paper muffin cases.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes in the oven at 200 C until they are firm and golden brown.