Quinoa is a nutritional power house, a complete protein source and bursting with vitamins and minerals. When combined with crunchy celery and creamy avocado it make a perfect Power Salad which is great for a quick alkaline lunch .
I usually cook up a double batch of quinoa so I have some at the ready for when I need to rustle something up quickly.
- ⅓ cup of quinoa (2/3 cup if you want to save some for later)
- Juice of one lemon or lime
- sprinkle of salt (if required)
- 1 small ripe avocado
- 1 large stick of celery
- A drizzle of olive oil or flax seed oil for an extra health kick
- Sprinkle of pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- First give the quinoa a good rinse, until the water runs through clear.
- Add the quinoa to 300ml boiling water (double the water if making a larger batch)
- Add the lemon juice and salt and allow to boil for a couple of minutes.
- Now reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and allow to cook for 10 -15 minutes or until the quinoa has soaked all the water up and the little seeds have started to unfurl. Don't leave it any longer you want it fluffy but not mushy.
- While the quinoa is cooking, chop the celery and scoop out the avocado an slice into little chunks.
- Drain the quinoa and allow to cool either completely, or if you prefer you can serve it warm.
- Stir in the celery and avocado, drizzle with the flaxseed oil, sprinkle with some seeds and serve with a wedge of lemon to squeeze on top.