I think Strawberries are one of the most beautiful treats of Summer. I have a couple of strawberry beds in the garden, and I watch out for those little berries with such anticipation. It’s so satisfying to just go and pick a bowl just when you need them, and the scent and extraordinary flavour of freshly picked homegrown berries is a pure joy.
These Oat and Coconut Strawberry muffins are a perfect healthy snack which allow you to enjoy the taste of Summer without any guilt. They are so quick and easy and only take 25 minutes from start to finish. Using honey and oil rather than sugar and butter makes them light and nutritious, and you can experiment with different fillings and toppings depending on what’s in season.
- 8 Tbsp coconut oil (or light olive oil)
- ¾ cup of honey
- 1 can of coconut milk (or plain yoghurt)
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 cups of rolled organic oats
- 1¾ cups of wholemeal flour (I used spelt)
- 1 tsp of salt, ¾ tsp baking powder, ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup of desiccated coconut
- You will also need some low sugar jam for filling and a little honey and fresh berries to decorate. Muffin cases.
- Measure the dry ingredients into one bowl, and whisk together the wet ingredients in another.
- Combine the contents of both bowls with a wooden spoon. The mixture should now resemble a sticky batter.
- Dollop a large spoonful into each muffin case, then add a spoonful of homemade low sugar strawberry jam before topping off with another spoonful of mixture on top. Press a fresh berry gently into the top of each muffin.
- Bake for 25 mins, gas mark 5 /190 c until springy to touch, and the strawberry scented baking wafts around the kitchen.
- Brush the tops with a little melted honey and scatter with some more fresh berries.