It happens every year, but it never gets any easier – unfortunately mosquito bites come hand in hand with nice hot weather. If like me, you’re one of those poor unfortunate people who swell up unattractively when you get bitten, then this post will come in very handy. There have been times when I been so itchy, I’ve tried all of these mosquito bite remedies at once!
*This post contains affiliate links*
- Cider vinegar has a well known calming, anti-inflammatory and soothing effect, as has soluble aspirin and aloe vera gel. Actually I use these three ingredients to make an excellent skin toner for my face, and therefore if a mosquito strikes, I usually have some handy. It’s very good for reducing any swelling and redness.
- Lavender and tea tree essential oils are both soothing and antiseptic for soothing bites and stings.
- Ice cubes will reduce swelling and calm down the itching, and a slice of chilled lemon will have a similar effect.
- Some people swear by dabbing toothpaste on their bites, this might look a bit strange, but peppermint is both cooling and calming.
- Another easy way to soothe your bites is to rub the soft inside of a banana skin on to the affected area, so no harm in trying this one.
- Crush some fresh basil leaves and rub them on your bites, as the healing oils in the basil will not only soothe them, they’ll stop the mozzies coming back too!
- If you warm a spoon under the hot tap and then hold it on top of the bite, the heat will destroy the protein that causes the reaction and the itching will stop. This seems surprising as the last thing you think of doing is heating up the bite, but it does actually help a lot.
- Here’s one that I only discovered this year, I was skeptical, but it really does offer immediate relief and you can reapply again later if needed. You do need to be careful that you don’t over do it or you could burn yourself and for this reason children should be supervised.
- TheTherapik mosquito bite reliever works by applying just the specific required amount of heat to neutralise the venom in the bite. If you use it quickly enough you can avert a bad reaction and the bites heal much faster.
- The Zap – It! does exactly what is promises; it’s immediate, fuss free, painless and chemical free. It omits a small electrical spark -which is mechanically induced and it breaks down the toxins in the bite or sting. You can use this as often as required as it is completely painless and won’t burn or mark at all and it’s handy pocket size means you can have it at the ready whenever you need it. We were all fighting over the zapper when we went on holiday recently!