Marzipan is one of those rather special treats that we usually only have at Christmas, but if you make this Homemade Healthy Marzipan you can enjoy it any time and relax in the knowledge that it is full of natural goodness.
This healthy homemade marzipan is perfect for topping off a fruit cake too and is a much more wholesome choice than that bright yellow shop bought stuff which is full of all sorts of preservatives and nasty, cheap sugars.
The first time I made it myself, I couldn’t believe how simple it was. Just three ingredients and a quick pulse in the food processor. And it tastes so delicious!
I have to admit I can’t stop nibbling it!
3 Ingredient Homemade Healthy Marzipan
2 cups ground almonds
4 tablespoons of maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
A dash of amaretto to enhance the almond flavour
- This takes just a minute in the food processor, but a good old mixing bowl and spoon works just as well, it just takes longer.
- Add the flavourings and 3 tbsp of the maple syrup to the ground almonds.
- Blend until the mixture comes together, add the last spoonful of maple syrup if it needs more moisture (and even an extra one if needed) and then turn it out and knead together on a surface dusted with little fine icing sugar.
- Wrap the homemade healthy marzipan in cling film and chill in the fridge until needed.
- Use it as an ingredient to make cakes, or if you roll it in a good, dark chocolate and chopped pistachios it makes delicious after dinner chocolates!