This Greek Yoghurt Semifreddo is a delightfully rich and luxurious desert which can be made in minutes plus a little freezing time but it has none of the guilt of the full fat version .
- 2 cups greek yoghurt (500ml)
- 1 cup of coconut cream (250ml) not coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 1 small handful each of raisins, coconut flakes, broken walnuts or chopped almonds, fresh berries of your choice.
- Chop 4 pieces of good quality dark chocolate into nibs.
- Line a shallow dish with cling film, a cake tin or pie dish is fine.
- In a large bowl gently whisk together the yoghurt, coconut cream and maple syrup.
- Stir in the dried fruit and nuts of your choice, plenty of flexibility here, just choose your favourites.
- Turn the creamy yoghurt mixture out into the lined dish.
- Arrange the fresh berries and chocolate nibs over the top however you prefer, either a precise pattern or artistically scattered (slice the strawberries if you use them, as whole frozen berries become too hard and icy.)
- Place in the freezer for a couple of hours when it should be firm enough to slice into pieces. If it is frozen for longer just let it stand for 10 minutes to soften up a little.
Semifreddo along with any other full fat ice cream is definitely a treat, but this recipe uses greek yoghurt and coconut cream instead of eggs and full fat cream and just a little maple syrup and naturally occurring sweetness rather than refined sugar. It’s a whole food dessert you can enjoy any night of the week!
There is plenty of scope to get creative and try different combinations of toppings and flavours, just be sure to slice up any fruit small enough so that it freezes quickly and this makes it much easier to eat when frozen.