This recipe for Easy Amaretto couldn’t be more simple and it makes a perfect gift – if you don’t might giving some away!
I have made quite a few different liqueurs for Christmas over the years and most of them need to be made a good few weeks in advance which does take a bit of forward planning. This recipe takes only half an hour or so to prepare and is ready to drink straight away, although it will only improve if it’s left to mature. The perfect solution for a last minute gift but thoughtful and personal too.
- 1 bottle of vodka 70cl (no need to use the best brand here)
- 35cl water (use the vodka bottle to measure )
- 2 cups of golden caster sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 50 ml organic almond extract (easily obtained on line)
- 3 tbsp of organic vanilla extract
- First dissolve the sugars in the water in a saucepan over a medium heat and bring it just to the boil. Pour into a large jug and allow the caramel coloured syrup to cool.
- Stir in the almond and vanilla extract.
- Pour the amaretto into 4 smaller bottles (I use recycled balsamic vinegar bottles)
- Label with a homemade tag to add a little charm!
This Amaretto was a great success and everyone loved it! It’s also such a useful liqueur to have to hand when making cakes and desserts, so lovely and smooth and almondy!
If almondy Amaretto isn’t your thing, then why not try my Homemade Orangecello a delicious liqueur that’s suspiciously like cointreau!