I’m not quite sure whether this Aubergine Quiche recipe is correctly named, as it seems to take inspiration from the creaminess of a quiche but with the versatility of an omelette or frittata. This heavenly mix of mediterranean flavours makes a great option if you’re trying to avoiding the traditional pastry base or just looking for a tasty, meat-free meal.
The aubergine, tomatoes and peppers are roasted in olive oil and garlic, to make a satisfyingly rich, squidgey base for the creamy cheese quiche mixture on top.While the tomatoes and red peppers bring a wonderful colour and tangy sweetness avoiding any risk of over-richness.
It’s well worth doubling up the quantities here to make enough for left-overs , as it’s excellent cold and tastes even better the next day.
- 1 large aubergine, sliced into 2 cm slices.
- 150g halved cherry or baby plum tomatoes
- 1 medium pointed red pepper slice into long thin slices
- 150g feta cheese crumbled into little chunks
- 150g cream cheese
- 60 ml cremefraiche
- A good grating of parmesan
- 3 free range eggs
- Generous drizzling of olive oil
- salt and black pepper, garlic salt
- basil or parsley leaves for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 210c Gas mark 6½
- Line a quiche or lasagne dish with foil and brush with a little olive oil.
- Lay the sliced aubergines on the oiled foil, and brush with more oil and seasoning , making sure they get a good coating on both sides.
- Put in the oven and after 20 mins or so, add the tomatoes and peppers, which should also be oiled and seasoned.
- To make the quiche mixture, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and cremefraiche together, whisk in the eggs one by one and add seasoning and a good grating of parmesan.
- Whisk together to make a smooth creamy custard and lastly crumble in the feta cheese,
- After another 20 minutes when the vegetables are softened and browning around the edges, remove from the oven.
- Make sure the aubergines are covering the bottom and poke the peppers into any little gaps, to form a vegetable base.
- Pour the cheesy quiche mixture over the vegetables, allowing some bits of veg to poke through.
- Sprinkle over the fresh herbs and cook in the oven for around 35 mins, until it starts to look puffed up and golden brown.